ISP 205 Lab 4 Discussion Questions
- Explain what is meant by the slope of a line on a graph. Draw and
example to illustrate your explanation.
- Copernicus was the first person to propose the details of a model
of a heliocentric (Sun- centered) Cosmology in the 1500's. However, he
was not the first person to propose the idea that the earth revolved
around the sun. The ancient Greek astronomer Aristarchus proposed a
heliocentric universe to explain the retrograde motion of the planets.
Based on your understanding of the Solar System and the orbits of the
planets, how would you defend a model of an earth-centered (geocentric)
solar system? What difficulties would you run into in defending this
model? How would you explain retrograde motion?
- How would you prove or disprove the proposition that the Earth
moves around the Sun in an orbit, using only the data that can be
obtained with the naked eye?
- If you discovered another planetary system in our galaxy, what
properties of a planet would you need to observe in order to
determine the mass of its "sun"? How would you then determine the
mass of its "sun"?
- What evidence do we have that the Earth rotates about its axis?
Updated: 2002.09.11 (Wednesday) 10:12:42 EDT