Bonus Point Opportunities
Extra credit or bonus points are available in this class. All opportunities are outlined below. Other than what is outlined on this page, no other extra credit will be given
- At the start of the semester and over the weekend prior to the final exam, two optional bonus point items will be provided for completion.
- Concept test: An assessment meant to determine student understanding of electricity and magnetism concepts. The department offers this to help improve future versions of this course and its traditional equivalent. The pre-course version will be available from January 7 through January 17 and the post course version will be available from April 21 through April 28. A participation bonus of 1 point added to your final exam score will be given to all students who seriously attempt* each of these items. Participation bonuses are as follows: Pre-course +1 point on final exam; Post-course version +1 point on final exam; any student making a serious* attempt on both will receive an additional 1 point bonus on their final exam score (for a total of +3 points added).
- *- Simple submission patterns (like AAA..., or BBB...) or rapidly clicking on any response throughout the concept test are not considered serious efforts and no bonus will be given. This will be checked.
- Attitudinal survey: This survey is meant to assess student beliefs about learning physics. The pre-course version will be available from January 7 through January 17 and the post course version will be available from April 21 through April 28. A participation bonus of 1 point added to your final exam score will be given to all students who complete each of these items. Participation bonuses are as follows: Pre-course +1 point on final exam; Post-course version +1 point on final exam; any student completing both will receive an additional 1 point bonus on their final exam score (for a total of +3 points added).
- The concept tests and surveys all have due dates after open add ends, as such absolutely no extensions for any of these items will be granted to students choosing not to read the syllabus.
- There are bonus questions in the online lecture folders. You should be able to answer these after completing the assigned reading from the required text and watching the online lectures. These bonus questions are programmed to look like exam questions, as such, they are all multiple choice. In addition, some of these bonus questions are questions used on previous exams for this course and its traditional equivalent. Lon-Capa's feedback option is disabled, so unlike regular homework problems, Lon-Capa will not tell you if you have the correct answer until after the due date. In addition, the discussion board on these questions has been disabled. These questions are meant for you to work out yourself after having read the assigned reading and watched the online lectures. All points earned here will be added to your total homework points as a homework bonus (so, homework scores over 100% are possible). Hints and/or solutions to the bonus questions will not be provided.
- The midterm exam will have a correction exam assigned as a homework assignment in Lon-Capa. 30% of the positive difference between the correction exam and the in-class exam will be added to your in-class exam score as bonus. As such, the correction exam homework assignment can only add points to your midterm exam score. Only students taking the original exam will have access to the correction exam. The correction exam will be available
before 10AM on the day after the scheduled exam and will be due at the regular homework due date/time on the Thursday of the exam week.
Last updated: December 18, 2018