Physics Building, Mich. State
Vacated by Physics & Astronomy Dept. in 1949
Received from estate of Dr. C.W.Chamberlain, May 1949
Painted by Mrs. Gunson, who
used to live in a frame house
beside Beal Botanical Gardens.
Mrs. Gunson used to live in a house beside Beal Gardens.
It is believed that the building was located near the fountain in front of the current MSU Main Library.
Floor Plan of the old Physics Building drawn from memory by retired Physics Professor R. D. Spence.
A lecture in the Chemistry Building
before it became the Physics Building.
This is the "Small Lecture Room" shown on the Second Floor Plan.
(This picture appears in the book "At The Campus Gate; A History Of East Lansing", by J. L. Kestenbaum, 1976, courtesy of Mrs. Elaine Cowen).
A portion of an artist rendition of an aerial view of the Michigan Agricultural College in 1923 showing the old Physics Building. The full picture appears in the "WKAR Radio 1922-1998" commemorative publication and is credited to the MSU Archives & Historical Collections. The added annotation shows other familiar landmarks by their current names.
An aerial view of campus (1, 2, 3, 4) appears in the 1937 Michigan State College Year Book, "The Wolverine of Nineteen Thirty Seven", courtesy of Mrs. Spence. This 1937 Year Book also has a very nice photograph of the old Physics Building seen from the river side as in Mrs. Gunson's painting..
Related information: MSU Physical Plant has a nice collection of building photographs and aerial views from a 1934 Properties Survey .