Department of Physics and Astronomy Machine Shop

"If you're not building original research equipment, you're not doing original research."  - Dr. Robert D. Spence

"I asked him where he had it made, he said he made it himself, & when I asked him where he got his tools said he made them himself & laughing added if I had staid for other people to make my tools & things for me... I had never made any thing..."

— Isaac Newton's recollection, the year before he died, of having made the first reflecting telescope; recorded by his niece's husband, John Conduitt, 31 August 1726
[Keynes MS 130.10, King's College, Cambridge, UK]

517-884-5540 or 517-884-5541
FAX: 517-355-0087

Michigan State University
Dept. of Physics & Astronomy
Biomedical-Physical Sciences Bldg.
567 Wilson Rd., Room 1213
East Lansing, MI 48824

The Shop observes all
MSU Holidays

Plan to arrive before 4:30 pm with new projects, to allow you time to fill out your service work order and talk with our staff about the details of your project.

Services Available:

Both Sinking & Wire Electric Discharge Machining

Turning, Surfacing, and Threading Lathe Operations

CNC and Manual Milling

Vacuum Leak Checked TIG, MIG, and Gas Welding

Precision Surface Grinding

Consulting for the Manufacture of Both Common and Unique Scientific and Teaching Instruments

Our Shop
Mission Statement

Our objective is to design, build, and maintain the highest quality research and teaching instruments, while always keeping finished cost to a minimum and safety to a maximum.

Our customers are the Faculty, Students and Staff of Michigan State University.
We are part of the Department of Physics and Astronomy.

[Machine Shop Page] [Machine Shop Safety Rules] [Physics and Astronomy Department Home Page] [M S U College of Natural Science Home Page] [M S U Home Page]